Learn about members of the Animal Kingdom

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Cane Corso and White Grape

Grapes can be very beneficial for people, but what about dogs? Are grapes healthy for dogs too? or are they just another food that could only harm our four-legged friend. Let’s see, can dogs eat grapes>

People eat grapes almost all year long, mostly because these fruits bring an important contribution of water, vitamins and minerals in their body.

Eating grapes or raisins in front of your dog could only make him want these fruits, because your furry friend is not aware of the fact that not everything you eat is also good for him too.

Are Grapes Beneficial Or Harmful For Dogs?

Consumed with moderation, grapes and raisins can be very beneficial for people, but not so healthy for dogs.

Grapes and raisins contain the following:

1. Fibers and Water

Only half a cup of grapes contains about 3 grams of fiber, which means that these delicious fruits can help our digestion and prevent constipation.

Grapes are also a great source of water for the body, and by eating grapes we are keeping the skin hydrated.

The large amount of water and antioxidants in grapes have an anti aging effect by keeping the skin moisturized and preventing the formation of wrinkles and aging signs.

2. Antioxidants

Grapes contain a wide range of phytonutrients such as carotenoids and polyphenols, which can prevent a wide range of cancers, and can help the heart to work properly.

Resveratrol is another phytonutrient that prevents the production of free radicals in the body (that could lead to cancer).

The same phytonutrient (Resveratrol) help to better irrigate the brain with blood, which helps us to stay away of mental disorders such as Alzheimer’s.

Grapes also help in preventing pain produced by osteoarthritis, and they improve the mobility and the flexibility of the joints.

The highest amount of antioxidants can be found in the seeds and the skin of grapes.

3. A Rich Source of Potassium (K)

Grapes contain a large amount of potassium that reduces the amount of sodium in the body and makes the belly flat.

4. Proteins

Grapes contain a small amount of protein, but can improve eye vision by combating oxidative stress at cellular level.

5. A Rich Source of Vitamins such as A, C, B6 and K

Vitamin A improves the activity of the immune and the reproductive systems.

Vitamin C boosts the immune system and maintains the blood pressure at an optimal level.

Vitamin B6 helps in preventing cardiovascular disease due to its anti-inflammatory function.

Vitamin K helps in preventing blood clotting, improves bone metabolism, and regulates blood calcium levels.

6. Anti-Inflammatory Agents

Grapes contain enzymes that have an anti-inflammatory effect in the body.

7. Low in Calories

A cup of grapes contains only about 100 calories, which means that these fruits can help in weight loss diets.

Grapes and raisins are beneficial for people, but toxic for dogs!

There is no doubt about it, dogs could even die after eating grapes or raisins.

However, no one knows exactly why grapes and raisins could be toxic for dogs, and not every animal is affected the same way because there were dogs that showed signs of poisoning after eating only a small amount of grapes, while others (being maybe less sensitive to grapes) were not affected after eating a small amount of grapes or raisins.

There are also online calculators, showing you how many grapes and raisins are poisonous for your dog (after its weight), but I would not trust them because there were reports of an 18 pound (8.2 kg) dog, that died after eating only four or five grapes (which is much less than thirteen grapes suggested by the lowest toxic dose of an online calculator).

In real life, there are dogs that could die after eating only a few grapes or raisins, but there are also dogs that can eat a much larger quantity of grapes or raisins (than recommended) without being affected.

To understand how sensitive is your dog to grapes and raisins, you can try giving him or her only one grape or one raisin to see how it feels after eating it.

If it doesn’t seem to be affected, you can try including in its diet one or two fresh grapes from time to time, to benefit from the large amount of nutrients present in these fruits.

How To Recognize A Dog That Was Poisoned By Grapes Or Raisins

A dog that was poisoned by grapes or raisins can develop kidney damage, which could lead to kidney failure.

If caught early, this may be reversible, and a full recovery can be made.

If the dog is left suffering without medical assistance, the recovery becomes harder or even impossible.
Also, if the level of toxicity is very high (if the dog ate a large quantity of grapes or raisins), not even a quick medical treatment applied to the animal could save its life.

A dog that ate a smaller amount of grapes or raisins can show signs of possible health issues such as: vomiting, diarrhea, pain, weakness, wobbliness.

If the dog is already affected by kidney damage, not even a quick treatment applied by the vet can save him.
Acting extremely quickly in such cases can save your dog, but this is not 100% sure.

Prevention is the best option to keep your dog healthy and safe from different foods that could affect him.

If you keep grapes and raisins in the house, be sure that your dog has no access to eat them without your knowledge.

If you have small kids, try to hide the grapes and also the raisins from them because being very young, they could feed the dog with grapes or raisins, and this way the dog could end up dying from kidney failure.

Is your dog sensitive to grapes and raisins? I suggest you to never eat these fruits in front of him because you will only make him salivate for nothing.

Be aware of the fact that grapes and raisins are toxic for dogs, and never keep them in a place that is in the dog’s reach.

If you notice that your dog feels bad after eating grapes or raisins, call your vet straight away for advice.

A treatment done in the early stages of the poisoning can do wonders even in the case of grape poisoning, so act quickly to save your furry friend’s life.

Final conclusion

Dogs have the mind of a small child, so you are the one that is responsible for their health.

Keep grapes and raisins away from dogs, and if you notice that they have eaten grapes or raisins and now feel bad, call your vet as quickly as possible and ask for advice.

Article written by:

Darius Savin is a lifelong animal lover and protector and the chief editor of Checkmember. He writes and edits articles and is also the creator of the distribution maps for all the creatures featured here.